Thursday, April 10, 2008

My first class was.....


with Thomas Ashman, of Black Sheep Studios, it was called the 'Ultimate Art Journal' and was a metal covered journal with candy tins fastened to it to put your art supplies in, I had no concerns about this class ahead of time as some of you know I do teach and use myself metal covered journals, so I was looking forward to a fun day enjoying someone else's class.
I was to be so disappointed, an unusually rude class mate didn't help, shortage of tools, lack of instruction, poor guidance, and a poor design which made it obvious that the teacher had never used the journal, the cool handle and tins we were told to put on the front and the back make it very difficult to actually use as the handle and tins make it impossible to lie flat. From this class I learnt that teacher preparation of metals, careful planning of tool use, drill bit sizes and basics like making sure holes are drilled in right size, bolts are correct length to get through thickness of metal are essential, not optional, this was a very tough class for everyone, especially the students who had no experience with power tools and metal, class was over at 4.30pm, I got out at 4.45pm with tired cramping hands, I heard later that there was folks there for a long time after that. A shame really, it was a great concept, just poorly planned and thirty women under pressure with a shortage of badly operated propane torches and power tools was obviously too much for the easy going instructor.
As a side note, I had to laugh when I later found out that unpleasant fellow student was newish girlfriend of other famous teacher, which accounts for her air of 'I am special', I later saw her at vendor night intimidating people away from his table, there was also a ripple of despair when a rumour spread that she would be teaching next year, I know it won't be on my list of things to do!

No comments: