I just love this weather, cool, damp, misty, I particularly enjoy the aroma of dampness and vegetation, I love being able to wear sweaters, shoes and socks, pull a great coat around you, no sunscreen, no hurry to get things done before the heat gets too bad.
I just know my heritage is cold northern climes, long dark nights, firesides, rib sticking warm food, tea and cakes. Lamp light and firelight, time to think, the feeling that you have to snuggle inside because its too dark and cold outside to be able to do anything.
The barn full of hay, the woodpile is well stocked, and food in the house are very strong almost driving instincts for the next few months. I am excited to think we will have to start the wood stove soon, I love tending it, I have that strong emotional link between the fire being in, and everyone is safe and warm. I love to cook at this time of year, it feels so right for me, summer heat and salads didn't come naturally to me when I moved to this country, baking, stewing and hearty food do.
There has to be some ancient Briton, or Norse invader flowing in my veins, probably more ancient Briton, as I have a mild dislike of boats and seamanship.
So I had better put on my animal skins and cook some oatmeal, its time to get up : )

No comments:
Post a Comment