Whoa, I did it! I went snowboarding yesterday, I fell up and fell down, fell off the chair lift, ate snow, and loved it!
I still cant turn well, well actually I cant turn at all, but what the hell I am having fun and going back for more tomorrow or Tuesday.
I love firsts, and I had a lot yesterday, my first time on the slopes with my children, first time with my own snowboard, first time owning a season pass, first time going home afterwards, its always been a hotel or flight before. First time seeing so many snowboards on the slopes.
It is 21 years this March since I was on a ski slope, and it felt good to be back, it was terrific seeing how much I have changed, how much I have learnt about myself, how far I have come.
I always used to ski with guys, young, fast, kamikaze guys, we were always on a mission to ski as many miles as we could in the six days we had in whatever European ski resort we could get a cheap package deal too, we went hell for leather morning till night.
Now, I am relaxed, know to listen to my own body when I have had enough, go at my speed on my choice of slope, and with my daughters, oh that is so cool! Simon (DH) still went off to beat mountain into submission whilst I faffed around on bunny slope, such a cute name that, so much better than beginners slope. I looked very closely at the snow and didn't see any bunny tracks though, maybe they come out after we go home.
We saw friends there, turns out some of the girls friends are instructors, so we had fun chatting and looking like we knew what we were doing.
I am going to leave with you with a questionable story, as any of you know who snowboard, when you fall you land on your hip bone and tail bone, and that you basically fall a lot on your first two or three times, and then something clicks and your off. Well to combat the deep hip bone bruising I felt five years ago on my only brief excursion on a snowboard I wore our own budget conscious form of impact shorts worn for snowboarding, and this is where is gets funny, well to me anyway, years ago in England, Simon played football, no not soccer, American football, he played wide reciever, and he had hip pads, and the not so glamorous underwear that comes with it, sooooo, in an effort to stop spending money, I threw caution to the wind and borrowed them from a packing case in the basement, trouble was Simon played a lot in mud, as we all know it rains a lot in England, and mud comes in many colours, and we dont use bleach in England soooooo the said 'impact shorts' have an organic natural looking hue to them. I just made Simon swear that if I was carted off to medical facility from the slopes that he owned up to the shorts being muddy and HIS! Although in hindsight, that might have not been such a good admission. Anyway as you now know, this was a none issue, and I am going to stop being so damned mean and spend the money my Dad gave me and go to great ski shop in Hagerstown and buy proper Burton impact shorts and they are black and new : )
I will leave you now after that insight into the glamorous side of my life ......

No comments:
Post a Comment